- Amazon forest was recently in news in Aug 2019 due to fire in large area in the forest . Brazil is asked by International community to control the fire by deployment of forces.
- Amazon forest is spread over 5.5 million sq kM.
- It is covering nine countries namely Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela.
- Study shows that there is more threat to the largest rain forest due to other activities ( Deforestation , mining, livestock farming, and occupation etc.) than to fire.
- Ecuador farming land increased by 27 % from 2000 to 2017 showing clearance of forest.
- 29000 hectares of rain forest land have been destroyed due to legal and illegal gold mining.
- Bauxite , diamond and gold mining destroyed 1,10,000 hectares of rain forest.
- Many countries has started initiative to save the rain forest.
Friday, July 10, 2020