- India Launches World’s First Ever Facial Bio-Metric Data Based Seafarer Identity Document. This will provide ease of getting jobs to the growing number of Indian Seafarers.
- India has become the first country in the world to issue Biometric Seafarer Identity Document (BSID), capturing the facial bio-metric data of seafarers.
- The new facial biometric technology is a marked improvement over the two finger or iris based bio-metric data, with modern security features. It will make the identification of the SID holder more reliable and efficient, while protecting their dignity and privacy.
- The total number of Indian seafarers who were employed on Indian or foreign flag vessels increased from 154349 in 2017 to 208799 this year, showing an unprecedented increase of 35%.
- The BSID introduces modern security features. It will have a biometric chip embedded in it. The security of the BSID card is ensured at various levels and through different methods.
- A record of each SID issued will be maintained in a national database and its related information will be internationally accessible.
Friday, July 10, 2020