- The scheme is an improved version of the earlier Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana( SGSY).
- It was launched as Aajeevika – National Rural Livelihoods Mission by the Ministry of Rural Development in the year 2011.
- It was renamed as DAY – NRLM in 2015.
- The programme is supported partially by the World Bank.
- To enable the rural poor to increase their household income by means of sustainable livelihood enhancements.
- The scheme started with an agenda to cover 7 Crore rural poor households via Self Help Groups (SHGs).