- Nari Shakti Puraskar is given to individual women, group, a public or private institution in recognition of their exceptional work towards the cause of women empowerment, especially for vulnerable and marginalized women.
- The award is given away by the president of India every year 8 march, international women’s day at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The award was instituted in the year 1999 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It is given in six institutional categories and two individual categories.
Eligibility criteria for the award
- open to individuals, groups, or institutions for their outstanding work towards the empowerment of women.
- an individual applicant must be at least 25 years of age.
- Institutions must have 5 years of relevant experience.