Neera and Palmgur
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has rolled out a unique project to produce Neera and Palmgur.
- The project aims at promoting it as a substitute for soft drinks while also creating self-employment to Adivasis and traditional trappers.
- It was launched at Dahanu in Palghar district of Maharashtra, a state with more than 50 lakh palm trees.
- KVIC distributed tool kits for its extraction and making palmgur to 200 local artisans who were given 7 days of training by KVIC.
- Neera, extracted from the palm trees before sunrise, is a nutrient-rich health drink consumed in many Indian states.
- At present palmgur neera worth Rs 500 crore is traded in the country.