- Portuguese PM Antonio Costa announced the setting up of a Gandhi Citizenship Education Prize.
- To promote Gandhi’s ideals the prize would be inspired by Gandhian thoughts and quotes.
- The first edition of the prize would be dedicated to animal welfare.
- He is the only PM to be part of the National Committee for the Commemoration Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th Birth Anniversary.
- The 125 members committee was chaired by President Ram Nath Kovind at Rashtrapati Bhavan and include Vice President, Shri Venkaiah Naidu; Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The Committee was constituted for commemorating the 150th birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation at the national and international level to propagate Mahatma’s message. The Commemoration has been undertaken taken for two years ie. from October 2, 2018, to October 2, 2020.
- The Committee also has nine international members, including two former Secretaries-General of the United Nations – Mr. Kofi Annan and Mr. Ban Ki-moon.
Wednesday, June 03, 2020