- Scheme launched at Varanasi during Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas on 22-Jan-2019.
- Government will bear the expenses for tour to religious places in India.
- Eligibility age 45 -65 years and preference to Girmitiya.
- Scheme launched on 22-Jan 2019 at Varanasi during Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas by PM Narendra Modi.
- Under the scheme, a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on Government sponsored tour of religious places twice a year.
- First batch of 40 Indian people will start the tour from Varanasi
- Government will bear all expenses including airfair from their country of residence.
- They will be taken to religious places of all major the major religion
- Eligibility : People of Indian Origin aged between 45 to 65 years. Preference will be resident of ‘Girmitiya Country’.
- Girmitiya Country includes Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica.
Girmitiya: – Resident of Girmitiya country. Girmitiya are descendent of Indian labourers brought for plantation of Sugarcane for Europeans. These country includes Fiji, Mauritius, South Africa, East Africa, Caribbean and South America(Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Suriname)