sandalwood and bamboo tree plantation
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has begun this initiative.
- Seeking to encourage commercial plantation of sandalwood and bamboo, the KVIC has begun a drive with plantation of 500 saplings each of sandalwood and bamboo at its Nashik training center spread over 262 acres of land.
- it is estimated to fetch between Rs 50 crore to Rs 60 crore in the next 10 to 15 years.
- A sandalwood tree matures in 10 to 15 years and as per the current rate, sells at Rs 10 lakh to Rs 12 lakh each.
- a special variety of bamboo, Bambusa Tulda, used for making Agarbatti sticks has been planted.
- in terms of quantity, 2500 bamboo logs will weigh approximately 65 MT of bamboo that will be used for making Agarbatti sticks and thus create large-scale local employment.