- Sri Lanka has banned the use of BURQA or covering of face in public
- Reason: To ensure national security, after ‘Easter Sunday Blast’ on 21.04.2019 in Sri Lanka
- Sri lanka has 9.7 % Muslims . This act was supported by Muslims also.
- Sri Lanka President M. Sirisena by using his emergency power has banned the use of BURQA or covering of face by any means in public which prevent anyone from being identified.
- It is implemented to ensure national security.
- Reason: This decision was taken after ‘Easter Sunday Blast’ on 21.04.2019 in Sri Lanka at 8 locations including church and Hotels which leads 300 people dead.
- Religious Demography :Total 21 million population as per 2012 census 70.1% of population is Buddhists, 12.6% Hindus, 9.7% Muslims and 7.6% Christians .
- Most of the Sri lankan Muslims are practising liberal form of religion and few percentage wearing Burqa. This act was implemented with the advice of Muslims.