- Developed for keeping soil protected at all times
- undercut residue, loosen the soil and kill weeds.
Stubble mulch tillage is a modern concept of tillage developed for keeping soil protected at all times whether by growing a crop or by crop residues left on the surface during fallow periods. It is a year round system of managing plant residue with implements that undercut residue, loosen the soil and kill weeds.
- Sweeps or blades are generally used to cut the soil up to 12 to 15cm depth in the first operation after harvesting.
- The depth of cut reduced during subsequent operations.
- When unusually large amounts of residues are present, a disc type implement is used for the first operation to incorporate some of the residues into the soil.
- This hastens decomposition but still keeps enough residues on the soil.