Warje Urban Forest Pune
- 16.8 ha of a barren hill converted into green forests, an initiative that began in 2015-16 in Pune.
- Today, the forest is rich in biodiversity with 23 plant species, 29 bird species, 15 butterfly species, 10 reptiles and 3 mammal species.
- Four years ago, under an unique experiment the Maharashtra Forest Department joined hands with TERRE Policy, Tata Motors to turn the barren hill into a green forest.
- To begin with, 8 feet saplings of variety of trees were planted.
- The plantation includes around 23 indigenous plants species namely Banyan, Peepal, Sonchafa, Apta, Neem, Kanchan, Golden Bamboos, Badam, Kaat, Amla, Umbar etc. To ensure that this project remained sustainable, peoples’ participation was encouraged. People can adopt trees in memory of their loved ones.